Monday, August 8, 2011

RSS Feeds and Alerts

WOW -- I've been looking for a web management tool like this one. I've heard the phrase "RSS" in passing at a few workshops, but never knew what it does. I love it for several reasons:

1) The information comes to me, instead of me going out to find it.

2) I can scan a lot of info in a short time.

3) I can keep up (at least a little) with movement on topics that are of interest and/or necessity for me.

4) I can feel informed and smart, not lost and dumb. ; )

5) This helps keep me "in the loop" with updated info, especially research, which is often hard to find and even harder to sort through.


I'm not quite as impressed with the alerts. The few I chose are pulling a lot of info that's not pertinent to what I'm looking at. It would be nice if it had an advanced option that would focus the search more. For instance, there's more than one Potter's House School in the nation, so it would be nice to be able to specify Grand Rapids only.

Despite that, I'm enjoying playing with these new tools. The RSS video is right -- it's addicting to have so much info at my fingertips. For my classroom, I anticipate most using this to find current events articles related to History topics I'm teaching. For myself, I plan to focus on articles about Common Core and competency-based teaching, which are key goals for me this year. Finally, with colleagues, I anticipate sharing the tool so that they can play with it, and I know I'll find powerful articles to discuss. Thank you, RSS!

No comments:

Post a Comment